EGHS Booster Club Accepting '12 Scholarship Applications
The East Greenwich High School Booster Club is offering be four $1000 scholarships this year. The only hitch is you need to apply by Wednesday, May 15.
Two will be awarded to senior boys and two will be awarded to senior girls who fulfill the eligibility requirements.
Eligibility: All graduating East Greenwich High
School Seniors with at least a 2.5 GPA who will be attending college, university, preparatory school, trade school or joining the military in the fall 2012 and have competed as a varsity athlete, competitive athletic
club members or have been a member of a varsity cheerleading squad. Parents of the student’s applying must be a current Booster Club Member.
Procedure: Each interested senior is to complete and
sign this form. The form and required
information must be returned to:
Mr. Chris Cobain
Athletic Director, East Greenwich High School
300 Avenger Drive
East Greenwich, RI 02818
Emailed information is also acceptable as long as the student stops by the AD office to sign and confirm the information – firstname.lastname@example.org. The AD will also have hard copies of applications available.
Deadline for the application and all corresponding information is Wednesday, May 15.
To complete the application process the following information must be included.
1) The student athlete is to complete an essay defining the three criteria that are listed in this application (leadership, sportsmanship and dedication). The essay should give an example of how you have displayed these characteristics in your high school sports career.
2) A letter of recommendation from a coach in support of your application stating at least one of the criteria’s and/or a defining event or moment that had a lasting impact on the coach and team.
3) An outline of supportive information on your career at EGHS including participation in sports, academics, honors/awards and extracurricular activities.
Awards will be presented to the successful candidates at the East Greenwich High School, Senior Banquet on Thursday, June 2, 2012.
2012 East Greenwich High School Avenger Booster Club Scholarship Application
Continuing Education Plans: _________________________________________
The following is a list of three criteria that should be stated separately in your essay when applying for the EGHS Booster Club Athletic Scholarship. Please give personal examples of how you have displayed these characteristics in a positive manner.
1. Leadership: a process by which a person influences others to accomplish an objective and helps direct the team in a way that makes it more cohesive and coherent.
Leaders carry out this process by applying their leadership attributes, such as beliefs, values, ethics, character, knowledge, and skills. How have you displayed these skills with your teammates, coaches, and the school as a whole?
*Please note, you do not have to be a captain of a team to
be able to express these leadership characteristics.
2. Sportsmanship: an athlete’s ability to conduct oneself in a fair and respectful way on your own team as well as an opponent’s team. The ability to show graciousness in both victory and defeat. It is a behavior and attitude that shows respect for the rules of a game and for other players. Also showing respect for coaches, officials, and fans.
3. Dedication: loyalty to a team in both winning and losing seasons. Having the ability to show dedication even in the most adverse conditions and situations. The desire to put forth 100 percent effort in practices and games while always being prepared to play. Going beyond what is required to improve your condition and game.