3 Rescued From House After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Two are in stable condition, the third is in critical condition.
Three residents of a house on Watch Hill Drive are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after police found them in the house suffering disorientation, vomiting, respiratory problems and lethargy. All three were taken to Kent Hospital. A spokesman from the hospital said two of the residents are in stable condition, one is in critical condition.
Police went to the house after getting a call from the employer of one of the occupants. According to Lt. Det. Jeremy Fague, the employer called because the woman didn't show up for work and hadn't called. That was not like her, so the employer asked police to check on her.
Police got the call at 10:58 a.m. Friday and officers were at the house by 11:01. After knocking on the door and hearing no response, they broke into the house and found the woman downstairs. She was lethargic and disoriented, according to Fague, and police called for rescue.
They continued looking through the house and found the woman's husband upstairs by his bed, unresponsive. He had vomited. They found their son, who has been ill, in his bed. He too had vomited and had respiratory problems.
All three people were taken by rescue to Kent Hospital, with assistance from the West Warwick Fire Department.
The family dog was also in the house. He was taken outside to the North Kingstown Animal Hospital where she is resting comfortably, a woman there said.
EG Fire then brought in a meter to check the carbon monoxide level in the house. The meter showed a reading of 800 to 1,000 parts per million in the basement. According to Fire Chief Peter Henrikson, 35 parts per million can cause headaches, 100 parts per million can be dangerous.
Carbon monoxide (CO), an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death, according to the Centers for Disease Control website.
The cause of the carbon monoxide leak is under investigation by the town's building inspector.