Fire At Trafalgar East Contained To Single Apartment
Unlike a large fire at the complex in Feb. 2010, this fire was confined to a single apartment.
A fire Saturday evening at the Trafalgar East apartment complex on Post Road damaged one apartment and sent one person to the hospital, according to EG Fire Chief Peter Henrikson.
The call came in at 6:46 p.m. The fire was in an apartment on the first floor of the last building in the complex. According to Henrikson, smoke from the fire reached the smoke detector in the common hallway, activating the fire alarm.
The alarm alerted the East Greenwich Fire District and several occupants of the building. The person who lived in the apartment with the fire, however, was still inside the apartment when fire fighters arrived. Fire fighters got the person out and Warwick rescue to the person to Rhode Island Hospital.
The fire was contained to that one apartment, according to Henrikson, and no one else was displaced.
An entire wing of apartments at Trafalgar East burned on Feb. 24, 2010. It was discovered afterward that the alarm system should have been upgraded several years earlier but that owners had been granted an extension by mistake. In that fire, which took place in the early morning hours, no one was injured but at least one resident had to jump from his balcony to escape. It destroyed 15 apartment units, which have since been torn down.
No additional information about the identity or status of the occupant, or the fire's cause, was available Sunday.