Police Log: Smoking School Bus, Unusual Ignition
Information about the following incidents was supplied by the East Greenwich Police Department. An arrest does not indicate a conviction.
Monday, Jan. 28
9:12 a.m. – A school bus driver reported smoke in his bus on Post Road. He said the front of the bus started smoking and the smoke became so thick he was not able to see so he stopped the bus in the righthand travel lane. A bus following stopped to pick up the children from the first bus. EG Fire arrived and dealt with the puddle of engine fluid that had leaked out. A company was called to tow the bus and another company was called to finish clean up at the site.
10:35 a.m. – A King Street resident was cited for driving with a suspended registration after he was pulled over on Castle Street because his brake lights were not working. Routine checks turned up the registration violation, which was because of a failed inspection. Police noted the car did not have an ignition key and needed to be started by touching two wires together.
2:55 p.m. – Police arrested Krist McLaughlin, 38, of Second Street in North Kingstown, for driving with a suspended license after he was involved in a car accident on Main Street. Routine checks turned up the license violation. He was told to report to the police station for processing before his court date and released.
Tuesday, Jan. 29
3:34 p.m. – Police arrested Debbie Keough, 56, of Queen Street, on a bench warrant after they were called to a house on Church Street because the resident wanted Keough to leave. The resident told police about the warrant for Keough. Upon verification, Keough was taken into custody and later taken to the ACI.
4:54 p.m. – A North Smithfield man told police his car was broken into while at Flood Ford on South County Trail for repairs. A Flood Ford employee said he’d left the car locked; police found the door lock pried out but still attached. The owner said he was missing an iPhone docking station, some hand tools, and a welding hood.
4:58 p.m. – Police were called to assist EG Fire at a building fire on Tillinghast. The owners said the fire was probably due to a faulty space heater in the upstairs of the structure, a former stable. There were no injuries.