Power Still Out More Than 400 In EG
Town Manager Sequino gives updates on the power situation and trash and debris pickup, post Sandy.
While many in East Greenwich who lost power in Superstorm Sandy had gotten it back by Thursday morning, but more than 400 households were still in the dark, reported Town Manager Bill Sequino.
Of those, he said, half were "small pockets" that National Grid may not even know about. Because of that, Sequino encouraged anyone who has a neighbor still in the dark to contact National Grid.
The power company focuses first on the power lines that affect the largest number of customers, Sequino said, but now that the major outages have been fixed, crews can turn their attention to smaller outages.
Meanwhile, trash pickup is now delayed one day, after collection for both Monday and Tuesday was taken care of Wednesday. So, if your trash is usually picked up on Friday, it will be picked up on Saturday this week.
Town crews are continuing to pick up storm debris. Residents are asked to move their debris to the curb and keep it separate from yard waste. Sequino said the reason for this is because the town will not be charged for storm debris at R.I. Resource Recovery, just as it wasn't last year after Tropical Storm Irene.
There is no yard waste pickup this week. That service will resume on Monday, Nov. 5.
Meanwhile, EG building official John Hoyle has been down in Charlestown helping officials there access storm damaged buildings. In addition, Sequino said, EG Public Works may send a crew down to South County to help clear roads.