Many people today are choosing to go dairy and/or gluten free in their diets. My reason for going dairy free is to help my 4 week old daughter Lily with her possible milk protein sensitivity. Milk protein is passed through the breastmilk and therefore can cause problems with digestion and fussiness in a baby with a sensitivity to this protein. I was also eating a dairy free diet with my second son as he had severe eczema. Cutting dairy out of my diet while nursing helped his skin tremendously.
So for whatever reason you choose to eat a dairy free and/or a gluten free diet, here is an easy and delicious recipe you'll enjoy. Just be sure when you are eating diets like these to make sure you are getting the nutrients and vitamins you need through other foods (it's best not to get them through supplements). For instance, dairy has a lot of calcium and because you'll be lacking calcium if you cut out dairy you need to eat things like kale, calcium enriched orange juice, collard greens and other calcium rich foods.
Kim's Dairy and Gluten Free Ooey Gooey Pasta (serves 6)
Ingredients (use what you'd like if you don't like my choices!)
1. Bionature gluten free spiral pasta 12 oz (stop and shop). This pasta holds up well in this dish.
2. 1 jar of organic sauce (whole foods 365 organic eggplant sauce is good or muir glen)
3. 1 bunch of organic kale
4. Tofutti Better Ricotta Cheese (back to basics)...you will use 1/2 container
5. Galaxy Nutritional Foods Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (back to basics)..you will use 1/3 bag
1. Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain. Add 3/4 jar of sauce and mix.
2. Wash Kale. Cut kale into bite size pieces. Add to pan with 1/2 inch water and a drizzle of olive oil. Cover and steam until cooked to desired texture. Drain and reserve.
3. Add 1/2 of pasta to a baking dish (8x13 will work...or a little smaller).
4. Add 5 scoops of tofutti ricotta on top. Just be sure you cover the pasta almost with the cheese. You'll use 1/2 container. The tofutti ricotta seems stiff and weird but melts beautifully and tastes great!
5. Add cooked kale on top...covering pasta and tofutti ricotta completely.
6. Add the rest of the pasta on top of the kale. Sprinkle 1/3 bag of vegan cheese on top and drizzle with the rest of sauce in jar. Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes until ricotta is melted inside.