1. A Walk in the Park: Spring is almost (!) here. Take a walk over at Goddard Memorial State Park to see what may be popping up. Tell the kids to count how many new green shoots they can find but be sure to remind them not to pull them up! There are several walks to choose from but a favorite is to park at the far end of the beach parking lot and head into the woods. If you follow the coastline, you’ll end up at a beach with a beautiful view of Greenwich Bay.
2. International Idol at EGHS: American Idol’s got nothing on this: head over to the Thursday evening for fun in several different languages! It’s the fifth annual International Idol Competition. Students will perform popular music in foreign languages. It’s a fundraiser for the West Africa AIDS Foundation and EGHS alum Kristen Green (Class of ‘08) will be on hand to talk about her recent experiences with the organization in Africa. The show starts at 7pm in the auditorium.
3. Is There a Doctor In the House? The Providence Children’s Museum is featuring “Doctors at Play” on Saturday, March 12, from 11am to 2pm. Children will be able to fill up a doctor’s bag with all the necessary tools, give a teddy bear a check up and find out what if feels like to have a cast on your finger. The program is designed for children age 3 to 8. The Providence Children’s Museum is at 100 South Street in Providence, 401-273-5437.
4. Glass Blowing: There’s something magical about the art of glass blowing. At Thames Glass in Newport, you and the kids can watch it happen at their studio at 688 Thames Street. Call ahead to see when they will be blowing glass the day of your visit. Afterward, head over to the Cookie Jar, 29 Bowen’s Wharf for fresh-baked cookies and something to wash it down.
5. Art Classes: For the artistically inclined, Voila art gallery and studio in Wickford offers drop-in art classes for kids ages 5 and up on Wednesday afternoons, Saturday mornings and, for 2 to 4 year olds, Mommy-and-me classes on Tuesday and Sunday mornings. Call ahead (667-5911) for reservations.