.

3 Rescued From House After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Two are in stable condition, the third is in critical condition.


Three residents of a house on Watch Hill Drive are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after police found them in the house suffering disorientation, vomiting, respiratory problems and lethargy. All three were taken to Kent Hospital. A spokesman from the hospital said two of the residents are in stable condition, one is in critical condition.

Police went to the house after getting a call from the employer of one of the occupants. According to Lt. Det. Jeremy Fague, the employer called because the woman didn't show up for work and hadn't called. That was not like her, so the employer asked police to check on her.

Police got the call at 10:58 a.m. Friday and officers were at the house by 11:01. After knocking on the door and hearing no response, they broke into the house and found the woman downstairs. She was lethargic and disoriented, according to Fague, and police called for rescue.

They continued looking through the house and found the woman's husband upstairs by his bed, unresponsive. He had vomited. They found their son, who has been ill, in his bed. He too had vomited and had respiratory problems. 

All three people were taken by rescue to Kent Hospital, with assistance from the West Warwick Fire Department.

The family dog was also in the house. He was taken outside to the North Kingstown Animal Hospital where she is resting comfortably, a woman there said.

EG Fire then brought in a meter to check the carbon monoxide level in the house. The meter showed a reading of 800 to 1,000 parts per million in the basement. According to Fire Chief Peter Henrikson, 35 parts per million can cause headaches, 100 parts per million can be dangerous.

Carbon monoxide (CO), an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death, according to the Centers for Disease Control website

The cause of the carbon monoxide leak is under investigation by the town's building inspector.

Deb C. March 01, 2013 at 10:14 PM
WOW! Her employer saved all their lives....Kudo' s to the quick thinking of her employer....
Alicarn March 01, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Scary! Thank goodness for a concerned employer and the quick response of the EG fire department! Everyone should have at least one carbon monoxide detector on each floor of their home. Especially if you have natural gas. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation. In new construction they must be hardwired and located within 10-15 feet of bedroom doors about 5 feet from the floor. It doesn't hurt to have one located near gas fireplaces/stoves/furnaces even if it's more than one per floor.
Catherine S. Gentil March 01, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Terrifying! We have always had (co) monitors in the home and after the blizzard in January we were awakened in the middle of the night by the (co) detector by the gas fire place and the bedroom door. We opened all the windows and doors to ventilate the house. Everyone should have them in their home. Its a small amount to pay for a device that saves lives.
jim halsband March 02, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Absolutely KUDO'S!! Great critical thinking by the employer, and fabulous response by the EG's PD and FD! Who is this masked person? I'm thinking gift cards galore are in order, if only as a small token in addition to the giant bag of gold kharma coins already bestowed upon our wonderful good samaritan!
Alicarn March 02, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Good thinking and so glad you are okay! Sometimes when we get a lot of snow it blocks the vents for the clothes dryer, gas fireplaces, etc.. It's a good idea to know where the vents are and be sure to keep them clear of any snow.
Lori Farrell March 03, 2013 at 04:34 PM
great outcome thanks to all involved! tragedy averted!
TeressaNorris March 04, 2013 at 09:01 AM
Know Many Bosses Go that ExtraMile? So when your Boss passes you.over A again Just remember that, Bosses .Care Just Remeber that when you Get AngryKnow That,Your Boss Might Care Enough to save your Butt
Gail Richardson March 04, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Please pray for this family, one family member is in critical condition after just going through chemo, and surgeries for cancer and was still in a weakened state and is only in his thirties. I believe in the power of prayer so please pray for him.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »