East Greenwich firefighters put out a small fire at the house owned by Providence College Men's Basketball coach Ed Cooley Tuesday night, acting Fire Chief Russell McGillvray said.
It was a small bathroom fire, he said. No one was injured. Cooley lives on Lenihan Lane.
According to Scott Beaudreau, who is filling in as fire marshall this week, the state fire marshal's office is investigating the fire. But, he said, "it does appear to be accidental."
"The smoke detectors alerted the residents. They heard the alarm before they actually saw or smelled smoke," said Beaudreau. Those are big houses out there and it was on the second floor in the master bathroom."
According to the Providence Journal, Cooley and his wife and two children are staying in a hotel for a few days while repairs are made.
"It makes you focus on what's really important, and I've faced much bigger challenges in my life than this," Cooley told the Journal.