Looking back over the past year, there were several championship seasons in 2011 and several near misses too. Last spring yielded three state champion teams at East Greenwich High School. Then, this fall, EGHS saw state championships slip from their grasp three different times.
For all the field teams, Carcieri Field is really home now, a year and a half after . Over the summer, , fulfulling a long-held dream for members of both the Booster Club and the Fields Committee.
One sports story that didn’t make our top five this year but deserves a mention is the last May. Through its citrus drive, the continues to help offset the cost of the new lights.
Now, the top five sports stories of the year:
1. with a 4-0 win over Portsmouth on the strength of a no-hitter by ace pitcher Molly Anderson.
2. . Playing under the lights at Rhode Island College in June, EGHS beats Prout 8-5.
3. The boys tennis team beat Cranston West 4-0 in the D-2 finals in May at Slater Park.
4. The ranks number four in this year’s list because it has grown so quickly since its inception less than two years ago. This season, EGBA has more than 700 players - 620 kids from kindergarten and tenth grade as well as 80 players in a new league for over-35 men. It is holding its in January.
5. Five other EGHS teams make it to the state finals in 2011: ; ; ; and . While they didn't make the finals, the , losing to Cranston West in a series of three.
Did we miss one? Let us know in the comments.