Saturday, March 23, 2013
The fire on Tockwotton Farm Road started Saturday morning while the owner was working on one of the cars.
A one-alarm fire in a garage on Tockwotton Farm Road in the Quidnessett neighborhood of North Kingstown destroyed four cars and the garage itself Saturday morning. No one was injured. The fire was reported at around 9:30 Saturday morning. North Kingstown Deputy Fire Chief Philip Aldrich said it started while a resident was working on one of the cars in the garage. Although it's a two-car garage, there were four cars in the garage, two on automotive lifts. "The fire was contained to the garage. Heavy damage to the garage and they were able to stop it at the extension before it went into the house," Aldrich said. He said the vehicles in the garage were a "total loss." The fire seems to have been caused by a mechanical problem with one of…
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
The fire Saturday at a house on Gladridge Drive was easily extinguished.
A fire in a basement of a house on Gladridge Drive Saturday afternoon was started by a young child playing with matches, according to Fire Chief Peter Henrikson. The fire ignited some paper in the basement but it was put out by a fire extinguisher before it could spread. "Smoke detectors alerted occupants to fire and called 911," said Henrikson. There were no injuries, only smoke damage in the house.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
The fire may have been caused by a space heater.
A fire damaged a reconverted stable building on the property of the New England Wireless and Steam Museum on Frenchtown Road at Tillinghast Tuesday afternoon. Firefighters were called to 697 Tillinghast Road at 4:50 p.m. Tuesday after property owners Bob and Nancy Merriam noticed what first looked like steam coming from the building. Bob Merriam kept an office in the upstairs of the building, which dates back to the 1800s, and heated it with a space heater. His wife Nancy said he'd been there earlier in the day and had left the heater on, planning to return. Stepping outside the house, which stands nearby, Bob quickly realized it was a fire and called the fire department. As it happened, all the EGFD vehicles were out on calls at the …
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
The fire in Brazil that killed hundreds Sunday is a painful reminder of the 2003 Station nightclub fire.
Today Rhode Island's eyes are on the tragedy of the Brazil nightclub fire, which is a painful experience of deja-vu for the state. A fire tore through the Kiss nightclub in Brazil Sunday morning has killed more than 200 people and left 120 injured, reports CNN. The Brazil nightclub was allegedly packed with more than 2000 people, double its capacity. The story has startling similarities to February 2003, when a fire resulting from Great White's use of pyrotechnics at The Station nightclub in West Warwick resulted in 100 deaths, and 230 injured. There are reports that the Brazil nightclub's insulation foam ignited the fire. The pyrotechnics used at The Station set fire to flammable soundproofing foam that lined the walls and ceiling. …
Monday, December 3, 2012
Reports from the East Greenwich Fire District.
Monday, Nov. 19 1:43 a.m. – Carbon monoxide detector went off at 950 Carr's Pond Road. No carbon monoxide released. 2:28 p.m. – A resident of 71 Charlotte Drive in Potowomut was locked in. Tuesday, Nov. 20 9:39 a.m. – Heat from a wiring short circuit was detected at 1 St. Elizabeth Way. The wiring proved to be worn and defective. 10:20 a.m. – A small brush fire at 110 Bailey Blvd. was extinguished with water. 11:22 a.m. – A gasoline spill at 312 Main St. 2 p.m. – A building fire at 431 Main St. Wednesday, Nov. 21 3:43 p.m. – A motor vehicle accident at 1149 Division St. Thursday, Nov. 22 12:56 a.m. – Someone called in an overheated car on Route 4 southbound. The car was empty and the State Police were notified to have it towed away. 6:52…
Thursday, November 29, 2012
State and local fire officials have determined that a fire on Potter Road last week was arson.
A large fire that destroyed a 8,500 sq. ft. home on Potter Road in North Kingstown last week was ruled arson by state and local officials. The house was owned by Gary Anusavice, a former East Greenwich resident who is facing federal Medicaid fraud charges. Police and fire personnel from North Kingstown found 229 Potter Road fully engulfed in flames around 12:45 p.m. on Nov. 23, the Friday after Thanksgiving. Nine other communities aided North Kingstown firefighters as they battled the blaze, including East Greenwich. According to NK Fire Chief Fenwick Gardiner Jr., the fire was one of the biggest that NK has battled in five years. The home, commonly known as "Villa Maria," was vacant and the only person injured was a NK firefighter who …
Friday, November 23, 2012
A fire caused a 8,500 sq, ft. home on Potter Road to collapse early Friday morning.
An overnight fire has left an 8,500 sq. ft. home on Potter Road in North Kingstown destroyed. At around 1 a.m. last night, the NK Fire Department arrived at 229 Potter Road to find half of the house engulfed in flames. The house was owned by former EG resident Gary Anusavice, who was indicted in June on a $20 million Medicaid fraud scheme. He was arrested there in May. During the arrest, North Kingstown police officers and federal agents allegedly found marijuana throughout Anusavice's residence. According to NK Fire Chief Fenwick Gardiner Jr., nine nearby communities sent crews to help NKFD fight the fire, including East Greenwich, Warwick, West Warwick, Exeter and Jamestown. (Click here to see Channel 10's video of the fire.) The …
Friday, October 26, 2012
Residents heard "crackling" sounds outside Thursday evening and discovered the outside of their house was on fire.
A fire on the outside of a house at 20 Hillside Court was put out by East Greenwich Fire Thursday night. No one was injured and damage inside the house was minimal, according to EG Fire Chief Peter Henrikson. "The occupant thought he heard crackling outside his home," Henrikson said. He stepped outside and saw flames on the exterior of his house at around 10:30 p.m. "Thankfully, they hadn't gone to bed yet," the chief said. "The damage was contained to the exterior of the house and part of the roof," he said. "A contractor had been doing some painting and staining in the [development]. The point of origin was in the equipment," Henrikson said. In particular, he said, there were some linseed oil-soaked rags in the vicinity and a pile of …
Sunday, May 13, 2012
It took place late Sunday afternoon on Wampanoag Road right across from the main entrance to Goddard Park.
A fire destroyed a cottage at 189 Wampanoag Road in Potowomut Sunday afternoon. No one was injured. The structure, which the owner said was not habitable, was not occupied at the time. “My mother saw the flames,” said Paul Alexander, who owns the cottage as well as a house on the property where he lives with his wife and parents. He estimated his mother saw the fire around 4 or 4:10 p.m. Alexander said he thought it was started by a cigarette butt dropped in dry leaves beside the structure, which was used for recreation. The post-and-beam building had been moved to the site more than 50 years earlier, he said, and it sat up on blocks. Alexander said the cottage used to be his “book barn” but the books were housed in a separate building …
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Unlike a large fire at the complex in Feb. 2010, this fire was confined to a single apartment.
A fire Saturday evening at the Trafalgar East apartment complex on Post Road damaged one apartment and sent one person to the hospital, according to EG Fire Chief Peter Henrikson. The call came in at 6:46 p.m. The fire was in an apartment on the first floor of the last building in the complex. According to Henrikson, smoke from the fire reached the smoke detector in the common hallway, activating the fire alarm. The alarm alerted the East Greenwich Fire District and several occupants of the building. The person who lived in the apartment with the fire, however, was still inside the apartment when fire fighters arrived. Fire fighters got the person out and Warwick rescue to the person to Rhode Island Hospital. The fire was contained to that…